Monday, March 21, 2011

What's your addiction?

I know this is a strange question to ask, and if you are fortunate enough to not have one, then I'm glad for you. Really, I am! I have been watching the reality-TV series, 'Ruby', and I really love it! It has made me realize that I truly have an addiction...to food! Unlike an alcoholic or drug addict, I NEED food to survive! Like an addict, though, once I have a taste of the "forbidden" food I can't stop! I found myself in that situation last week.

I decided to indulge in a small piece of brownie when I was out to dinner with my friend, and thought I was okay with that! NOT!! The next evening there was something else that presented itself and again I indulged. By the end of the week I was out of control!!! I even found myself reverting back to my old habits of hiding food and eating only when I know I'm alone! What the heck!!! I thought I was better than that. Hmmmmm, you know what I AM better than that!! In the past I would have been on a very lo-o-o-ong binge, but I was able to cut it off after just a few days! Okay, then, I am back on track now. I will admit I gained a little over 2 pounds last week, but that's okay, cause I am back on track! I know there will be other times that this will happen, but I am strong enough now to get past it, and move forward, and DOWNWARD!!!!

One other thing, and this may be just for me, but I sure do a lot better when I actually track (journal) what I put in my mouth. In Weight Watchers we have a few sayings, "If you bite it, write it. If you nibble it, scribble it. If you drink it, ink it. If you indulge it, divulge it!". One more that I like , "I only journal what I eat on the days I want to lose weight!". It's very difficult to eat something you know is not good for you, when you have to see it written down right there in front of you. I hope this gives someone that push it takes to write down what they are eating, if only to see what and how much is actually going into their bodies, and if it is truly good for their bodies. Remember, it's a journey, not a destination, and we need the right tools to help us travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment